*

website statistics

Saturday, December 11, 2010

There is life after death

Isn't life grand?
Yes, there is life after death. Unfortunately if it's your death, it won't be your life. Oh well, you just gotta read the fine print.

If you've been following my adventures over the past year, you know that in the summer I had a V-tach event with my heart racing at 300 bpm. The good folk in emerg jolted it back to reality with 200 joules of electricity. ZAP!

Since then I have had nuclear scans, MRIs, echocardiograms and more. Micro bleeding was discovered in my brain but as bad as that sounds it's relatively common. About five percent of folk my age have it. If it weren't for today's hi-tech medical equipment this little know fact wouldn't even be little known. I was told to "relax."

But they did discover that one chamber in my heart is severely enlarged. You might say I'm a big hearted fellow. I used to run. In fact, I was quite the runner in my youth, setting records and stuff. I jogged right up until my open heart surgery. (I was the first person in Canada to have their mitral valve repaired robotically. Small incision. All very neat.) Runners have enlarged hearts. I was told to "relax."

But all this health stuff has made me quite aware of my mortality. As they say, "No one gets out of here alive."

And yet, life does go on. And I smile. I babysit my little 15-month-old granddaughter and I smile. The universe is unfolding as it should. "I'm relaxed."

No comments:

Post a Comment