*

website statistics

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Mesclun greens and fruit make a great salad



Between my wife going to Weight Watchers and my granddaughters spending an inordinate amount of time at our home, our fridge had filled with oodles of fruit and other healthy stuff. My heart and stroke doctor would approve no matter what the cause. I'm sure he'd tell me to just get imaginative and eat the stuff -- and I did.

Tonight I made dinner in a bowl. With almost a whole bag of mesclun salad mix as the base I added fruit and other stuff to create a satisfying, heart-healthy meal.

Ingredients
  • Dole mesclun mix - lots
  • 1/4 of a small, red onion diced into large pieces
  • 1/3 of a fennel bulb diced into large pieces
  • a splash of Newman's Own oil and vinegar dressing
  • 2 1/2 navel oranges, sectored and diced
  • a large handful of chopped strawberries
  • a couple of tablespoons of both dried cranberries and dried cherries
  • 2 ounces of chicken breast, chopped and quickly browned in a fry pan
  • 1 ounce of fry-pan-browned pecan bits

The salad was easy to make and quite delicious. And no wonder it was good. It was inspired by a wonderful salad I had recently at Waldo's in Byron. Although, I have to admit that Waldo's was better. I gave myself an eight. The onion bits were too big and too strong. The next time I may eliminate the onion and add apple chunks. I'd choose either Fujis or Galas as they are both known for their sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment